The greater Houston area has been one of the hardest hit in the nation during the COVID-19 pandemic. Most people who have COVID-19 recover completely within a few weeks. But some people, even those who had mild versions of the disease, continue to experience symptoms after their initial recovery. Today, an increasing number of people who became ill from the coronavirus continue to deal with issues surrounding their physical, mental and emotional health and quality of life.
These people sometimes describe themselves as "long haulers" and the conditions have been called post-COVID-19 syndrome or "long COVID-19." These health issues are sometimes called post-COVID-19 conditions.
COVID-19 Symptoms That Can Stick Around
The long-term effects of a COVID-19 infection can include symptoms such as:
- Decreased appetite
- Weight loss
- Voice change
- Loss of taste or smell
- Increased need for sleep
- Daytime sleepiness
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Pulmonary embolism
- Pulmonary fibrosis
Dr. Luis Chug has been on the front line of the fight against COVID-19 not only in the ICU & outpatient care treating affected individuals with different disease severity but also educating our community through social media and medical conferences.
At the Post-COVID pulmonary Clinic, our team provides care in a compassionate and holistic approach to those inflicted. Our goal is to evaluate and provide state-of-the-art care to patients recovering from COVID-19, incorporating telehealth, when appropriate.
Developing a treatment plan can significantly improve your quality of life. To make an appointment with Dr. Luis Chug, call the office today.
One of the most important parts of recovering from a severe illness is connecting with others in your shoes. Check out American Lung Association support groups and ask your healthcare team about other local groups in your area.
- Online Support Communities
The American Lung Association has online communities on Inspire.com. Individuals register to join a community. Members can choose their level of participation and engagement.
- Living with Lung Disease. Members can discuss how COVID-19 is affecting them.
- Living with Long COVID. COVID-19 Long-Haulers and Post-COVID Support Community
- Better Breathers ClubJoin the Better Breathers Club Network to discover new ways to cope with lung disease and provide support from others who share in your struggles. These virtual support groups give you the tools you need to live the best quality of life you can.
- Adhere to social distancing recommendations during the pandemic
- Consult with a healthcare provider from the safety of your home
- Safely conduct follow-up visits or customized appointments to order medication refills
- Medicare and most insurance companies cover telehealth visits (contact your health insurance company for more information)
- HIPAA compliant
Tips for a successful telehealth visit
- Have a quiet place for a visit
- Write down specific questions or concerns
- Have list of your medications handy
- If possible, know your vital signs
- Report any difficulties you may have doing normal activities
- Ask questions and repeat instructions
- Write down any follow-up instructions